Wow, this is the first time in a long time that I made something that wasn't for me! I have only a few days left of summer, so I asked one of my friends if she needed help completing the weapons portion of her costume for Monster Hunter. She enthusiastically said yes and so my 3 day adventure began.
The Process : Cliffnotes Version
Essentially i just bought a 4x8 sheet of 1.5" styrofoam from home depot and chopped it into 8 squares. the squares were all hot glued together to form a styrofoam brick that was carved down into the fist shape using a box cutter and some sanding blocks. additionally, a 1" pvc pipe was glued inside the brick. the shaft is also 1" pvc pipe which i really wish was bigger. anyway....once the styrofoam was carved down, there were large gaps between each layer of foam. i covered those gaps with a generous layer of drywall mixing compound. this took a full day to dry unfortunately. after teh drywall set, i covered it in guesso. To paint, i used a natural sponge and dabbed on gray, then brown, then green last. lastly, everything was sealed in several layers of mod podge.
I avoided using aerosol spray paints of any kind because my original cuts between the fingers were very deep and i didn't trust that the layers of drywall or guesso got in there well enough to seal out any possibility of the aerosol melting the foam core.
From top to bottom, this clocks in at 7.5 feet, my longest prop [my bazooka came in at 7.0 ft]. The dimensions of the fist alone is 2' x 2' x 1'
to see photos of the process, check out my facebook page in the fist of fury photo album! ---> [link]